What’s required to become a driving instructor
The first and foremost thing when wanting to become a driving instructor is that you must meet the requirements. Without meeting them, unfortunate to say, you won’t be able to proceed further.
– Aged 21+
– Must have held a driving licence for at least 3 years
– Must be able to read a license place from 27.5m/90feet
– Must pass enhanced criminal records and motoring conviction checks
After the above is met, you’ll need to pass an ADI (approved driving instructor exam, which is in 2 parts. Upon successful completion, you’ll legally be allowed to charge for your driving lessons.
After that, you’ll need to pass the 3rd part of the ADI exam, and this will allow you to be listed on the ADI register.
Every 4 years you’ll also need to conduct “standard checks” which are to assess your working knowledge of driving and instructing. This is necessary and will permit you to continue working as a driving instructor.
Skills to become a driving instructor
Driving may be easy, but is teaching easy?
You’ll need to be;
- confident and able to give clear instructions
- adaptable to learner requirements, as no 2 people are the same in their learning capabilities
- superb with your driving abilities and driving knowledge
- super reactive! This is key, as you’ll need to keep your learners safe in the case of unexpected situations
What to expect as a driving instructor
Like any job, being a driving instructor is no different. It certainly comes with its challenges, but it also has some great perks!
- Flexible hours, work when you want
- The comfort of your own car
- Students provided to you – if you work with a driving school
- Salary anywhere between £15,000 – £30,000 (depending on your location and competition prices)
Why train with 6S Driving School
We home some of the most experienced driving instructors in East London, not just for driving lessons for learners, but for ADI training too. Every 4 years many instructors in and around London come to our driving instructors for their standard checks.
We guarantee a quality service and aim to deliver to the highest of standards. Don’t believe us? Get on a call with us, either by calling or using the form below, and we’ll tell you exactly how we can help you become a driving instructor.
You’ll need to conduct a criminal record check before you can pursue your journey to becoming an ADI instructor. Please go to https://www.gov.uk/criminal-record-check-become-driving-instructor
Upon successful completion, you can apply here as a next step. https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-become-a-driving-instructor